A New Home for CMH !
Ribbon Cutting ceremonies were held on 1 September 1998 for the U.S. Army Center of Military History's new permanent home, Building 35, Fort Lesley J. McNair, Washington, DC.
Building 35 has a long and varied history dating back to 1919. In that year the corral between the Quartermaster and Engineer stables of the Engineer School of Applications was converted into a storage facility for Selective Service System records left over from the First World War. In 1941 the remaining stable area was renovated to serve as a quartermaster clothing and general supply storeroom. Construction at the time included replacing the second story and installing a hand operated elevator. The year 1963 saw a more dramatic change when Building 35 was converted into a commissary. A ground-up restoration that took more than a year to complete followed in 1968.
Now Building 35 has made another transition. The Army Corps of Engineers, aided by engineer soldiers of the U.S. Army Reserve and by the Military District of Washington staff, has completed this extensive renovation. D & A Contractors have done an excellent job of transforming the former stables into the new home of the Army's Center of Military History.