CMH Home
CMH 		
      Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 29 October 2012

HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS DETACHMENT
164th TRANSPORTATION BATTALION

  • Parent unit organized 26 January 1903 in the Massachusetts Volunteer Militia at Hingham as Company K, 5th Infantry
  • (Massachusetts Volunteer Militia redesignated 15 November 1907 as the Massachusetts National Guard)
  • Mustered into Federal service 19 June 1916 at Framingham; mustered out of Federal service 9 November 1916 at Hingham and reverted to state control
  • Called into Federal service 25 July 1917; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917
  • Reorganized and redesignated 12 February 1918 as Company K, 3d Pioneer Infantry
  • Demobilized 4 August 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 23 August 1920 in the Massachusetts National Guard at Hingham as the 9th Company, 1st Coast Defense Command, Coast Artillery Corps
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 January 1922 as the 329th Company, 1st Coast Defense Command, Coast Artillery Corps
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 7 June 1923 as Company K, 101st Infantry, an element of the 26th Division (later redesignated as the 26th Infantry Division)
  • Inducted into Federal service 16 January 1941 at Hingham
  • Inactivated 29 December 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 15 March 1948 in the Massachusetts Army National Guard at Hingham as Battery D, 704th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion, and relieved from assignment to the 26th Infantry Division
  • Ordered into active Federal service 15 March 1951 at Hingham; released from active Federal service 15 March 1953 and reverted to state control
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1953 as Battery D, 704th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1958 as Battery D, 704th Missile Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as Battery D, 1st Missile Battalion, 241st Artillery
  • Reorganized and redesignated 15 April 1962 as Battery D, 2d Missile Battalion, 241st Artillery
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 March 1963 as the 1058th Transportation Company
  • Consolidated 1 April 1975 with Headquarters Detachment, 164th Transportation Battalion (see ANNEX) and the 393d Medical Detachment (organized 2 December 1972 at Hingham) and consolidated unit designated as the 1058th Transportation Company
  • Ordered into active Federal service 20 September 1990 at Hingham; released from active Federal service 4 June 1991 and reverted to state control
  • Ordered into active Federal service 3 February 2003 at Hingham; released from active Federal service 15 June 2004 and reverted to state control
  • Expanded 1 September 2006 to form Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 164th Transportation Battalion at Dorchester and the 1058th Transportation Company at Hingham (hereafter separate lineage)
  • Ordered into active Federal service 8 January 2010 at Dorchester; released from active Federal service 11 February 2011 and reverted to state control
  • ANNEX
  • Organized and Federally recognized 28 June 1940 in the Massachusetts National Guard at Chelsea as Headquarters Battery, 2d Battalion, 241st Coast Artillery
  • Inducted into active Federal service 16 September 1940 at Chelsea
  • Reorganized and redesignated 7 October 1944 as Headquarters Detachment, 187th Coast Artillery Battalion
  • Inactivated 1 April 1945 at Fort Ruckman, Massachusetts
  • Redesignated 8 July 1946 as Headquarters Battery, 772d Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 29 January 1948 in the Massachusetts Army National Guard at Hingham as Headquarters Battery, 772d Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1949 as Headquarters Battery, 772d Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 July 1951 as Headquarters Battery, 772d Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion
  • Location changed 13 May 1952 to Boston
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1953 as Headquarters Battery, 772d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
  • Location changed 4 November 1957 to Chelsea
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1958 as Headquarters Battery, 772d Missile Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as Headquarters Battery, 2d Missile Battalion, 241st Artillery
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 March 1963 as Headquarters Detachment, 164th Transportation Battalion; location concurrently changed to Hingham
  • HOME STATION: Dorchester

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

  • World War I
  • Meuse-Argonne
  • World War II
  • Northern France
  • Rhineland
  • Ardennes-Alsace
  • Central Europe
  • Southwest Asia
  • Defense of Saudi Arabia
  • Liberation and Defense of Kuwait
  • Cease-Fire
  • War on Terrorism
  • Global War on Terrorism

DECORATIONS

  • Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered LORRAINE
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA 1990-1991
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered SOUTHWEST ASIA 2003-2004
  • Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for the action in the Ardennes

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

ROBERT J. DALESSANDRO
Director, Center of Military History


Return to Branch Index