CMH Home
CMH 		
      Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 6 September 2012

HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS DETACHMENT
211th MILITARY POLICE BATTALION
(FIRST CORPS OF CADETS)

  • Chartered 16 October 1741 in the Massachusetts Militia, as the Independent Company of Cadets, Lieutenant Colonel Benjamin Pollard, Commanding
  • Organized 19 October 1741 at Boston
  • Formally returned its British colors 15 August 1774 to the Royal Governor in Boston
  • Reorganized 1776-1777 in the Massachusetts Militia at Boston
  • While remaining in Massachusetts service, additionally formed the following units for Continental service:
  • Henry Jackson's Additional Continental Regiment authorized 12 January 1777 and organized at Boston from elements of the Independent Company of Cadets and the Boston Regiment; consolidated 9 April 1779 with Lee’s Additional Continental Regiment (authorized 12 January 1777 and organized at Cambridge) and Henley's Additional Continental Regiment (authorized 12 January 1777 and organized at Boston) and consolidated unit designated as Henry Jackson's Additional Continental Regiment; redesignated 24 July 1780 as the 16th Massachusetts Regiment; disbanded 1 January 1781 at New Windsor, New York
  • Reorganized 19 October 1786 in the Massachusetts Militia at Boston as the Independent Company of Cadets (with special privileges)
  • Redesignated in 1799 as the Independent Corps of Cadets
  • Redesignated in 1803 as the Independent Cadets
  • Redesignated in 1840 as the Divisionary Corps of Independent Cadets
  • Redesignated in 1854 as the Independent Company of Cadets
  • Redesignated in 1861 as the Independent Corps of Cadets
  • Mustered into Federal service 26 May 1862 at Boston as the Boston Cadet Company; mustered out of Federal service 2 July 1862 at Boston
  • Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated as the 45th Massachusetts Volunteer Infantry Regiment (The Cadet Regiment) and mustered into Federal service 26 September-28 October 1862 at Readville, Massachusetts; mustered out of Federal service 7 July 1863 at Boston and resumed state service as the Independent Company of Cadets, Massachusetts Volunteer Militia
  • Redesignated in 1866 as the First Company of Cadets
  • Reorganized in 1874 as a battalion and redesignated as the First Corps of Cadets
  • (Massachusetts Volunteer Militia redesignated 15 November 1907 as the Massachusetts National Guard)
  • Expanded, converted, reorganized, and redesignated 22 May 1917 as the 1st Regiment of Engineers, Massachusetts National Guard
  • Called into Federal service 25 July 1917; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917
  • Reorganized and redesignated 18 August 1917 as the 101st Engineers, an element of the 26th Division (later redesignated as the 26th Infantry Division)
  • Demobilized 29 April 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 27 July 1921 in the Massachusetts National Guard as the 1st Separate Battalion of Infantry (First Corps of Cadets)
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 14 March 1922 as the Machine Gun Battalion, 211th Coast Artillery (First Corps of Cadets)
  • Redesignated 31 May 1923 as the 2d Battalion, 211th Artillery, Coast Artillery Corps
  • Federally recognized 30 April 1924 at Boston
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 June 1926 as the 211th Coast Artillery
  • Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at Boston
  • (3d Battalion activated 15 June 1942 while in Federal service at Vallejo, California)
  • Regiment broken up 16 August 1943 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Battery as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 211th Antiaircraft Artillery Group
  • 1st Battalion as the 772d Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion
  • 2d Battalion as the 747th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion
  • (3d Battalion as the 324th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion – hereafter separate lineage)
  • After 16 August 1943 the above units underwent changes as follows:
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 211th Antiaircraft Artillery Group, inactivated 24 August 1944 at Camp Bowie, Texas
  • 772d Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion inactivated 30 May 1944 at Camp Howze, Texas
  • 747th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion inactivated 5 September 1945 at Fort Bliss, Texas
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 211th Antiaircraft Artillery Group, the 772d Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion, and the 747th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion consolidated 8 July 1946 and consolidated unit converted and redesignated as the 211th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized
  • Federally recognized 7 November 1946 at Boston
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 February 1949 as the 126th Heavy Tank Battalion, and assigned to the 26th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 September 1950 as the 126th Tank Battalion
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 May 1959 as the 220th Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Battle Group, an element of the 26th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized 1 March 1963 to consist of the 1st Battalion
  • Consolidated 1 April 1975 with the 126th Signal Battalion (see ANNEX) and consolidated unit designated as the 126th Signal Battalion, an element of the 26th Infantry Division
  • Relieved 1 September 1993 from assignment to the 26th Infantry Division
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Company and Company B, 126th Signal Battalion, consolidated 1 September 1996 and consolidated unit converted, reorganized, and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 211th Military Police Battalion; location concurrently changed to West Newton (Companies A and C, 126th Signal Battalion—hereafter separate lineages)
  • Location changed 1 June 1997 to Lexington
  • Ordered into active Federal service 7 July 2002 at Lexington; released from active Federal service 12 November 2003 and reverted to state control
  • Ordered into active Federal service 24 July 2009 at Lexington; released from active Federal service 27 August 2010 and reverted to state control
  • ANNEX
  • Organized and Federally recognized 23 October 1940 in the Massachusetts National Guard at Boston as Headquarters Battery, 3d Battalion, 180th Field Artillery, an element of the 26th Division (later redesignated as the 26th Infantry Division)
  • Reorganized and redesignated 14 January 1941 as the Service Battery, 2d Battalion, 180th Field Artillery
  • Inducted into Federal service 16 January 1941 at Boston
  • Reorganized and redesignated 12 February 1942 as the Service Battery, 180th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 26th Infantry Division
  • Inactivated 1 January 1946 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia
  • Consolidated 11 December 1946 with the Service Battery, 221st Field Artillery Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 14 January 1941 at Boston) and consolidated unit designated as the Service Battery, 180th Field Artillery Battalion
  • Organized and Federally recognized 19 February 1947 at Boston
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 May 1959 as the 126th Signal Battalion, an element of the 26th Infantry Division (organic elements concurrently organized from existing units)
  • Location of Headquarters changed 1 March 1963 to Chelsea; on 1 April 1975 to Quincy
  • HOME STATION: Lexington

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

  • Revolutionary War
  • Monmouth
  • Rhode Island 1777
  • Rhode Island I 778
  • Rhode Island 1779
  • New Jersey 1780
  • Civil War
  • North Carolina 1862
  • North Carolina 1863
  • World War I
  • Champagne-Marne
  • Aisne-Marne
  • St. Mihiel
  • Meuse-Argonne
  • Ile de France 1918
  • Lorraine 1918
  • World War II
  • Guadalcanal
  • Northern Solomons
  • France
  • Leyte
  • Rhineland
  • Ardennes-Alsace
  • Southern Philippines (with arrowhead)
  • Central Europe
  • War on Terrorism
  • Campaigns to be determined

DECORATIONS

  • Valorous Unit Award, Streamer embroidered IRAQ APR-MAY 2003
  • Valorous Unit Award, Streamer embroidered IRAQ 2003–2004
  • Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action in the Ardennes
  • Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

ROBERT J. DALESSANDRO
Director, Center of Military History


Return to Branch Index