CMH Home
CMH 		
      Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 23 July 2012

HEADQUARTERS AND HEADQUARTERS DETACHMENT
192d MILITARY POLICE BATTALION
(FAIRFIELD COUNTY REGIMENT)

  • Organized 26 June 1672 in the Connecticut Militia from existing train bands as the Fairfield County Regiment
  • Expanded 11 October 1739 to form the 4th and 9th Regiments
  • Expanded 1 November 1771 to form the 4th, 9th, and 16th Regiments
  • (Elements called into Continental Army service at various times during the Revolutionary War)
  • Expanded 12 October 1786 to form the 4th, 9th, 16th, and 28th Regiments
  • Expanded 5 November 1792 to form the 4th, 9th, 16th, 28th, and 34th Regiments
  • 4th, 9th, 16th, 28th, and 34th Regiments consolidated 25 June 1847 and reorganized in the Connecticut Volunteer Militia as the 8th Regiment, to consist of companies from Fairfield County
  • (While remaining in state service during the Civil War, the 8th Regiment furnished elements of the 1st, 6th, 10th, 17th, and 23d Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiments and the 2d Connecticut Volunteer Light Battery in Federal service)
  • (Connecticut Volunteer Militia redesignated 6 July 1865 as the Connecticut National Guard)
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 August 1871 as the 4th Regiment
  • Consolidated 5 October 1903 with the 3d Regiment (see ANNEX 1) and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as the 3d Infantry Regiment
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 14 December 1907 in the Connecticut National Guard as the Coast Artillery Corps
  • Called into Federal service 3 April and 25 July 1917 at home stations; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917
  • Reorganized and redesignated 31 August 1917 as the 26th through 38th Companies, Coast Defenses of Long Island Sound
  • (26th, 27th, 29th, 37th, and 38th Companies, Coast Defenses of Long Island Sound, reorganized and redesignated 20 December 1917 as the Supply Company and Batteries F, E, and B, 56th Artillery [Coast Artillery Corps], respectively; demobilized in January 1919 at Fort Schuyler, New York)
  • (28th, 30th, 31st, 32d, 33d, 34th, 35th, and 36th Companies, Coast Defenses of Long Island Sound, redesignated 13 April 1918 as the 3d, 5th, 6th, 7th, 19th 13th, 14th, and 16th Companies, Coast Defenses of Long Island Sound, respectively; demobilized 16 December 1918 at Forts Terry, Michie, and H.G. Wright, New York)
  • Former Coast Artillery Corps reorganized 24 March 1921 in the Connecticut National Guard as the 1st Coast Artillery; Headquarters Federally recognized 2 April 1921 at New London
  • Redesignated 23 May 1921 as the 192d Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps)
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 3 November 1921 as the 192d Field Artillery, and assigned to the 43d Division (later redesignated as the 43d Infantry Divisioin)
  • Inducted into Federal service 24 February 1941 at home stations
  • Regiment broken up 19 February 1942 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
  • Headquarters disbanded
  • (1st Battalion as the 2d Battalion, 203d Field Artillery hereafter separate lineage)
  • 2d Battalion as the 192d Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 43d Infantry Division
  • 192d Field Artillery Battalion inactivated 22 October 1945 at Camp Stoneman, California
  • Consolidated 18 October 1946 with Headquarters, 192d Field Artillery (reconstituted 25 August 1945 in the Connecticut National Guard), and consolidated unit designated as the 192d Field Artillery Battalion; concurrently reorganized and Federally recognized in southwestern Connecticut with Headquarters at Stamford
  • Ordered into active Federal service 5 September 1950 at home stations
  • (192d Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 20 October 1952 in southwestern Connecticut with Headquarters at Stamford)
  • Released from active Federal service 15 June 1954 and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 192d Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)
  • Consolidated 1 May 1959 with the 211th Missile Battalion (see ANNEX 2), the 283d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (organized and Federally recognized 13 December 1922 at Bridgeport), and the 201st Antiaircraft Artillery Detachment (organized and Federally recognized 26 June 1951 at Bridgeport), and consolidated unit reorganized and redesignated as the 242d Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Missile Battalion, the 2d Howitzer Battalion, an element of the 43d Infantry Division, the 3d Gun Battalion, and the 4th Detachment
  • Reorganized 1 July 1961 to consist of the 1st Missile Battalion, the 2d Howitzer Battalion, an element of the 43d Infantry Division, and the 4th Detachment (3d Gun Battalion [formerly the 283d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion] concurrently converted, reorganized and redesignated as the 242d Engineer Battalion hereafter separate lineage)
  • Consolidated 1 May 1963 with the 192d Artillery (see ANNEX 3) and consolidated unit designated as the 192d Artillery, to consist of the 1st Missile Battalion and the 2d Howitzer Battalion
  • Reorganized 1 December 1964 to consist of the 1st Missile Battalion, the 2d Howitzer Battalion, and Battery F
  • Reorganized 1 January 1966 to consist of the 1st Battalion, the 2d Howitzer Battalion, and Battery F
  • Reorganized 16 December 1967 to consist of the 1st Battalion and the 2d Battalion, an element of the 26th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized 15 May 1971 to consist of the 2d Battalion, an element of the 26th Infantry Division
  • Redesignated 1 March 1972 as the 92d Field Artillery
  • Withdrawn 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System
  • Federal recognition withdrawn 1 September 1993
  • Reconstituted 1 October 1997 in the Connecticut Army National Guard as the 192d Field Artillery, a parent regiment under the United States Army Regimental System, to consist of the 2d Battalion, an element of the 29th Infantry Division, with Headquarters at Westbrook
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 September 2003 as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 192d Chemical Battalion; location concurrently changed to New Haven
  • Consolidated 1September 2008 with the 134th Military Police Company (organized and Federally recognized 5 November 2007 at Norwich), and consolidated unit converted, reorganized, and redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 192d Military Police Battalion
  • Ordered into active Federal service 27 May 2009 at New Haven; released from active Federal service 30 June 2010 and reverted to state control
  • Location changed 15 July 2010 to Niantic
  • ANNEX 1
  • Organized 26 June 1672 in the Connecticut Militia from existing train bands as the New London County Regiment
  • Expanded 11 October 1739 to form the 3d and 8th Regiments
  • Expanded 4 November 1774 to form the 3d, 8th, and 20th Regiments
  • (Elements called into Continental Army service at various times during the Revolutionary War)
  • Expanded 5 June 1790 to form the 3d, 8th, and 30th Regiments
  • Expanded 5 November 1792 to form the 3d, 8th, 20th, 30th, and 33d Regiments
  • 3d, 8th, 20th, 30th, and 33d Regiments consolidated and reorganized 25 June 1847 in the Connecticut Volunteer Militia as the 3d Regiment, to consist of companies from New London County
  • (While remaining in state service during the Civil War, the 3d Regiment furnished elements of the 2d, 3d, 13th, and 26th Connecticut Volunteer Infantry Regiments in Federal service)
  • (Connecticut Volunteer Militia redesignated 6 July 1865 as the Connecticut National Guard)
  • Mustered into Federal service 22 June 1898 at Niantic as the 3d Connecticut Volunteer Infantry; mustered out of Federal service 20 March 1899 at Savannah, Georgia, and reverted to state control
  • ANNEX 2
  • Organized and Federally recognized 5 September 1940 in the Connecticut National Guard in south-central Connecticut as the 3d Battalion, 242d Coast Artillery, with Headquarters at Milford
  • Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at home stations
  • Redesignated 13 September 1943 as the 2d Battalion, 23d Coast Artillery
  • Inactivated 10 April 1944 at Camp Forrest, Tennessee
  • Disbanded 25 June 1944
  • Reconstituted 25 August 1945 in the Connecticut National Guard as the 2d Battalion, 23d Coast Artillery
  • Consolidated 6 January 1947 with the 211th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion (see ANNEX 4) and consolidated unit designated as the 211th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion; concurrently reorganized and Federally recognized in south-central Connecticut with Headquarters at Bridgeport
  • Reorganized and redesignated 25 June 1951 as the 211th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1953 as the 211th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1958 as the 211th Missile Battalion
  • ANNEX 3
  • Organized 13 August 1942 in the Connecticut National Guard while in Federal service n Australia as the 3d Battalion, 208th Coast Artillery
  • Reorganized and redesignated 15 May 1943 as the 238th Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion
  • Inactivated 21 April 1945 in the Philippines
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 11 February 1948 in the Connecticut Army National Guard in southeastern Connecticut as the 238th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion, with Headquarters at New London
  • Ordered into active Federal service 14 August 1950 at home stations; released from active Federal service 13 June 1952 and reverted to state control
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 October 1953 as the 238th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1959 as the 192d Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Missile Battalion and the 2d Gun Battalion
  • Reorganized 1 July 1961 to consist of the 1st Missile Battalion
  • ANNEX 4
  • Constituted 10 August 1940 in the Connecticut National Guard as the 2d Battalion, 208th Coast Artillery
  • Organized and Federally recognized 1 September 1940 in south-central Connecticut with Headquarters at New Haven
  • Inducted into Federal service 6 January 1941 at home stations
  • Reorganized and redesignated 15 May 1943 as the 211th Coast Artillery Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 15 June 1944 as the 211th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion
  • Inactivated 24 December 1945 at Camp Anza, California
  • HOME STATION: Niantic

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

  • Revolutionary War
  • Saratoga
  • New York 1776
  • New York 1777
  • Connecticut 1777
  • Connecticut 1778
  • Connecticut 1779
  • Connecticut 1780
  • Connecticut 1781
  • Rhode Island 1778
  • Civil War
  • Bull Run
  • Chancellorsville
  • Gettysburg
  • Mississippi River
  • Petersburg
  • Georgia 1862
  • South Carolina 1862
  • South Carolina 1863
  • South Carolina 1864
  • Florida 1864
  • North Carolina 1865
  • World War I
  • Oise-Aisne
  • Meuse-Argonne
  • Champagne 1918
  • World War II
  • East Indies
  • Papua
  • Guadalcanal
  • Northern Solomons
  • New Guinea
  • Bismarck Archipelago
  • Leyte (with arrowhead)
  • Luzon (with arrowhead)
  • War on Terrorism
  • Campaigns to be determined

DECORATIONS

  • Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered PAPUA
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered IRAQ 2009-2010
  • Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

ROBERT J. DALESSANDRO
Director, Center of Military History


Return to Branch Index