CMH Home
CMH 		
      Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 30 April 2012

151st FIELD ARTILLERY REGIMENT
(FIRST MINNESOTA HEAVY ARTILLERY)

  • Organized 14 August-25 November 1864 in the Minnesota Volunteers as the 1st Battalion, Heavy Artillery, and mustered into Federal service
  • Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 25 February 1865 as the 1st Regiment of Heavy Artillery, Minnesota Volunteers
  • Mustered out of Federal service 27 September 1865 at Chattanooga, Tennessee
  • (Minnesota Enrolled Militia redesignated 1 March 1871 as the Minnesota National Guard)
  • Reorganized 1872-1881 in the Minnesota National Guard as separate sections of artillery
  • Consolidated in 1887 with the St. Paul Cavalry Troop (organized 2 June 1885 at St. Paul) and consolidated unit designated as the Squadron of Mounted Troops
  • Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated in April 1889 as the 2d (Bennet’s) Battery of Light Artillery
  • Redesignated in April 1889 as the 1st Battalion of Mounted Troops
  • Reorganized and redesignated 2 May 1893 as the 1st Battalion of Artillery
  • Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 10 March 1913 as the 1st Field Artillery, to consist of the 1st Battalion at St. Paul and the 2d Battalion at Minneapolis
  • Mustered into Federal service 1-21 July 1916 at Fort Snelling, Minnesota; mustered out of Federal service 28 February 1917 at Fort Snelling, Minnesota
  • Called into Federal service 23 June 1917; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917
  • Reorganized and redesignated 18 August 1917 as the 151st Field Artillery and assigned to the 42d Division
  • Demobilized 10 May 1919 at Camp Dodge, Iowa
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 18 November 1919 as the 1st Field Artillery with Headquarters at Minneapolis
  • Redesignated 21 November 1921 as the 151st Field Artillery and assigned to the 34th Division
  • Inducted into Federal service 10 February 1941 at Minneapolis
  • Regiment broken up 1 February 1942 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
  • Headquarters disbanded
  • Headquarters Battery as the Pioneer Company, 634th Tank Destroyer Battalion, and relieved from assignment to the 34th Division
    Reorganized and redesignated 31 May 1942 as the Reconnaissance Company, 634th Tank Destroyer Battalion
    Inactivated 29 November 1945 at the New York Port of Embarkation, New York
  • 1st Battalion as the 151st Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division
  • Inactivated 3 November 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia
  • 2d Battalion as the 175th Field Artillery Battalion (see ANNEX 1)
  • 151st Field Artillery Battalion, Reconnaissance Company, 634th Tank Destroyer Battalion, and Headquarters, 151st Field Artillery (reconstituted 25 August 1945 in the Minnesota National Guard) consolidated, reorganized, and Federally recognized 14 October 1946 as the 151st Field Artillery Battalion, with Headquarters at Minneapolis; concurrently assigned to the 47th Infantry Division
  • Ordered into active Federal service 16 January 1951 at Minneapolis
  • (151st Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 16 January 1953 at Minneapolis)
  • Released from active Federal service 2 December 1954 and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 151st Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)
  • Consolidated 22 February 1959 with the 256th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion (see ANNEX 2) to form the 151st Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2d Howitzer Battalions and the 3d Rocket Howitzer Battalion, elements of the 47th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized 1 April 1963 to consist of the 1st and 3d Battalions, elements of the 47th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized 1 February 1968 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 47th Infantry Division
  • Redesignated 1 May 1972 as the 151st Field Artillery
  • Reorganized 1 April 1977 to consist of the 1st Battalion and Battery E, elements of the 47th Infantry Division
  • Withdrawn 30 November 1988 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System
  • Reorganized 10 February 1991 to consist of the 1st Battalion and Battery E, elements of the 34th Infantry Division
  • Consolidated 1 September 1992 with the 175th Field Artillery (see ANNEX 1) and consolidated unit designated as the 151st Field Artillery to consist of the 1st Battalion and Battery E, elements of the 34th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized 1 September 1997 to consist of the 1st Battalion and Batteries E and F, elements of the 34th Infantry Division
  • Battery E ordered into active Federal service 2 December 1999 at Anoka; released from active Federal service 27 August 2000 and reverted to state control
  • Battery F ordered into active Federal service 10 August 2003 at Cambridge; released from active Federal service 8 August 2004 and reverted to state control
  • Battery E ordered into active Federal service 13 December 2003 at Anoka; released from active Federal service 3 June 2005 and reverted to state control
  • 1st Battalion ordered into active Federal service 17 September 30 November 2004 at home stations
  • Redesignated 1 October 2005 as the 151st Field Artillery Regiment
  • Released from active Federal service 15 March 25 May 2006 and reverted to state control
  • Reorganized 1 September 2006 to consist of the 1st Battalion and Battery E
  • ANNEX 1
  • Organized 1 February 1942 in the Army of the United States as the 175th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division
  • Inactivated 3 November 1945 at Hampton Roads Port of Embarkation, Virginia
  • Relieved 10 June 1946 from assignment to the 34th Infantry Division and assigned to the 47th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 19 February 1947 in the Minnesota National Guard as the 175th Field Artillery Battalion with Headquarters at Olivia
  • Ordered into active Federal service 16 January 1951 at home stations
  • (175th Field Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 16 January 1953 with Headquarters at Olivia)
  • Released from active Federal service 2 December 1954 and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 175th Field Artillery Battalion (NGUS)
  • Reorganized 22 February 1959 as the 175th Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Howitzer Battalion
  • Reorganized 1 April 1963 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 47th Infantry Division
  • Redesignated 1 May 1972 as the 175th Field Artillery
  • Withdrawn 30 November 1988 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System
  • Reorganized 10 February 1991 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division
  • ANNEX 2
  • Organized and Federally recognized 30 January 1919 in the Minnesota National Guard from existing elements as the 6th Infantry with Headquarters at St. Paul
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 December 1923 as the 206th Infantry
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 July 1940 as the 216th Coast Artillery
  • Inducted into Federal service 6 January 1941 at home stations
  • 1st Battalion reorganized and redesignated 10 September 1943 as the 774th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion (remainder of regiment-hereafter separate lineages)
  • Inactivated 8 June 1944 at Camp Howze, Texas
  • Disbanded 26 June 1944
  • Reconstituted 25 August 1945 in the Minnesota National Guard
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 24 October 1946 at St. Paul as the 256th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion, an element of the 47th Infantry Division
  • Ordered into active Federal service 16 January 1951 at St. Paul
  • (256th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 16 January 1953 with Headquarters at St. Paul)
  • Reorganized and redesignated 20 May 1953 as the 256th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
  • Released from active Federal service 2 December 1954 and reverted to state control; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 256th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (NGUS)

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

  • Civil War
  • Tennessee 1864
  • Tennessee 1865
  • World War I
  • Champagne-Marne
  • Aisne-Marne
  • St. Mihiel
  • Meuse-Argonne
  • Champagne 1918
  • Lorraine 1918
  • World War II
  • Algeria-French Morocco (with arrowhead)
  • Tunisia
  • Naples-Foggia (with arrowhead)
  • Anzio
  • Rome-Arno
  • North Apennines
  • Po Valley
  • War on Terrorism
  • Campaigns to be determined

Battery E (Anoka) additionally entitled to:

  • World War II
  • Normandy
  • Northern France
  • Rhineland
  • Ardennes-Alsace
  • Central Europe
  • War on Terrorism
  • Campaigns to be determined

DECORATIONS

  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered IRAQ 2005-2006
  • French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered BELVEDERE
  • Battery E (Anoka) additionally entitled to:
  • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered IRAQ 2004-2005
  • Belgian Fourragere 1940
  • Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action at Mons
  • Cited in the Order of the Day of the Belgian Army for action at Eupen-Malmedy

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

ROBERT J. DALESSANDRO
Director, Center of Military History


Return to Branch Index