CMH Home
CMH Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 2 April 2014


  • Constituted 24 June 1921 in the Organized Reserves as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 191st Infantry Brigade, and assigned to the 96th Division
  • Organized in December 1921 at Portland, Oregon
  • Redesignated 23 March 1925 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 191st Brigade
  • Redesignated 24 August 1936 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 191st Infantry Brigade
  • Converted and redesignated 6 April 1942 as the 96th Reconnaissance Troop (less 3d Platoon), 96th Division (Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 192d Infantry Brigade, concurrently converted and redesignated as the 3d Platoon, 96th Reconnaissance Troop, 96th Division)
  • Troop ordered into active military service 15 August 1942 and reorganized at Camp Adair, Oregon, as the 96th Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop, an element of the 96th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized and redesignated 16 August 1943 as the 96th Reconnaissance Troop, Mechanized
  • Reorganized and redesignated 20 November 1945 as the 96th Mechanized Cavalry Reconnaissance Troop
  • Inactivated 3 February 1946 at Camp Anza, California
  • Activated 20 January 1947 at Spokane, Washington
  • (Organized Reserves redesignated 25 March 1948 as the Organized Reserve Corps; redesignated 9 July 1952 as the Army Reserve)
  • Reorganized and redesignated 12 April 1949 as the 96th Reconnaissance Company
  • Location changed 15 October 1951 to Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Inactivated 1 June 1959 at Salt Lake City, Utah
  • Converted and redesignated (less 3d Platoon) 5 November 1962 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 191st Infantry Brigade, and relieved from assignment to the 96th Infantry Division (3d Platoon, 96th Reconnaissance Company, concurrently redesignated as Headquarters and Headquarters Company, 192d Infantry Brigade – hereafter separate lineage)
  • Activated 1 February 1963 at Helena, Montana
  • Inactivated 29 February 1968 at Helena, Montana
  • Withdrawn 24 October 1997 from the Army Reserve and allotted to the Regular Army; Headquarters concurrently activated at Fort Lewis, Washington
  • Inactivated 16 October 1999 at Fort Lewis, Washington
  • Headquarters activated 1 December 2006 at Fort Lewis, Washington

Campaign Participation Credit

  • World War II
  • Leyte (with arrowhead)
  • Ryukyus


  • Army Superior Unit Award, Streamer embroidered 2008-2011
  • Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945

By Order of the Secretary of the Army:

Robert J. Dalessandro
Director, Center of Military History

Return to Branch Index