CMH Home
CMH Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 18 April 2013

172d CAVALRY REGIMENT
(FIRST VERMONT)

  • Constituted 19 April 1861 in the Vermont Militia as a regiment of infantry and organized from existing volunteer companies
  • Designated 27 May 1861 as the 1st Regiment of Vermont Volunteers
  • Mustered into Federal service 9 May 1861 at Rutland; mustered out of Federal service 15 August 1861 at Brattleboro
  • Reorganized 19 September 1861 as the 12th Regiment of Vermont Volunteers
  • Mustered into Federal service 4 October 1862 at Brattleboro; mustered out of Federal service 14 July 1863 at Brattleboro and resumed state status as separate companies in the Vermont Volunteer Militia
  • Existing companies expanded and reorganized 21 November 1867 as a brigade of infantry to consist of the 1st Regiment with Headquarters at Burlington, the 2d Regiment with Headquarters at Montgomery, and the 3d Regiment with Headquarters at Rutland
  • Reorganized and redesignated 24 March 1873 as the 1st Infantry Regiment with Headquarters at Burlington
  • (Vermont Volunteer Militia redesignated in 1894 as the Vermont National Guard)
  • Mustered into Federal service 16 May 1898 at Burlington as the 1st Vermont Volunteer Infantry; mustered out of Federal service 26 October–7 November 1898 at home stations and resumed state status as the 1st Infantry Regiment
  • Mustered into Federal service 22 June 1916 at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont; mustered out of Federal service 9-11 October 1916 at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont
  • (Company B mustered into Federal service 30 March 1917 at St. Albans)
  • Regiment (less Company B) called into Federal service 10 April 1917 at Fort Ethan Allen, Vermont; drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917
  • (1st Regiment, Vermont State Guard, organized 27 June 1917 to replace regiment in Federal service)
  • Reorganized and redesignated 9 February 1917 as the 57th Pioneer Infantry
  • Demobilized 4 March 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts
  • Consolidated 20 June 1919 with the 1st Regiment, Vermont State Guard, and with Companies D, E, and F, 101st Ammunition Train (organized 27 August 1917 from personnel of the 1st Infantry Regiment [Vermont] and elements of the Coast Artillery, Massachusetts National Guard, and assigned to the 26th Division; demobilized 3 May 1919 at Camp Devens, Massachusetts) and consolidated unit reorganized in the Vermont National Guard as the 1st Infantry
  • Redesignated 1 October 1921 as the 172d Infantry and assigned to the 43d Division (later redesignated as the 43d Infantry Division); Headquarters Federally recognized 17 March 1922 at Brattleboro
  • (Location of Headquarters changed 1 January 1924 to St. Johnsbury; on 17 July 1930 to Northfield; on 16 February 1933 to Rutland; and on 1 September 1938 to Bennington)
  • Inducted into Federal service 24 February 1941 at home stations
  • Inactivated 1 November 1945 at Camp Stoneman, California
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 28 October 1946 in the Vermont National Guard with Headquarters at Brattleboro
  • Ordered into active Federal service 5 September 1950 at home stations
  • (172d Infantry [NGUS] organized and Federally recognized 29 January 1953 with Headquarters at Montpelier)
  • Released from active Federal service 15 June 1954 and reverted to state control with Headquarters at Montpelier; Federal recognition concurrently withdrawn from the 172d Infantry (NGUS)
  • Elements of the 172d Infantry consolidated 1 March 1959 with the 124th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (see ANNEX) to form the 172d Armor, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Medium Tank Battalion and the 2d Reconnaissance Squadron, elements of the 43d Infantry Division, and the 172d Infantry, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Battle Group, an element of the 43d Infantry Division
  • 172d Armor reorganized 1 April 1963 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 86th Infantry Brigade; 172d Infantry concurrently reorganized to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 86th Infantry Brigade
  • 172d Armor and 172d Infantry consolidated 1 April 1964 and consolidated unit designated as the 172d Armor, to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 86th Armored Brigade, and the 3d Battalion
  • Reorganized 1 February 1968 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 50th Armored Division
  • Reorganized 1 June 1988 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 26th Infantry Division
  • Withdrawn 1 May 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System with Headquarters at St. Albans
  • Reorganized 1 September 1993 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 42d Infantry Division
  • (1st Battalion ordered into active Federal service 29 November 2004 at home stations)
  • (2d Battalion ordered into active Federal service 15 November 2004 at home stations)
  • Reorganized 20 April 2005 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 42d Infantry Division
  • Redesignated 1 October 2005 as the 172d Armored Regiment
  • Reorganized 17 February 2006 to consist of the 1st and 2d Battalions, elements of the 42d Infantry Division
  • (2d Battalion released from active Federal service 13 May 2006 and reverted to state control)
  • (1st Battalion released from active Federal service 27 May 2006 and reverted to state control)
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 September 2007 as the 172d Cavalry Regiment, to consist of the 1st Squadron, an element of the 86th Infantry Brigade Combat Team (former 2d Battalion – hereafter separate lineage)
  • Ordered into active Federal service 10 December 2009 at home stations; released from active Federal service 13 January 2011 and reverted to state control
  • ANNEX
  • Constituted 25 February 1943 in the Army of the United States as the 124th Coast Artillery Battalion
  • Activated 24 May 1943 at Camp Haan, California
  • Redesignated 28 June 1943 as the 124th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion
  • Inactivated 18 October 1945 at Camp Patrick Henry, Virginia
  • Redesignated 28 August 1951 as the 124th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion an allotted to the Vermont Army National Guard
  • Organized and Federally recognized 19 November 1951 with Headquarters at Montpelier
  • Redesignated 1 December 1953 as the 124th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
  • CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

    • Civil War
    • Gettysburg
    • Virginia 1861
    • Virginia 1862
    • World War I
    • Champagne- Marne
    • Aisne- Marne
    • St. Mihiel
    • Meuse-Argonne
    • Ile de France 1918
    • Lorraine 1918
    • World War II
    • New Guinea
    • Northern Solomons (with arrowhead)
    • Luzon (with arrowhead)
    • Rhineland
    • Central Europe
    • War on Terrorism
    • Campaigns to be determined

    DECORATIONS

    • Meritorious Unit Commendation (Army), Streamer embroidered AFGHANISTAN 2010
    • Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945
    • Headquarters Troop (St. Albans), 1st Squadron, additionally entitled to:
    • Presidential Unit Citation (Army), Streamer embroidered IPO DAM LUZON

    BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

    ROBERT J. DALESSANDRO
    Director, Center of Military History


  • Return to Branch Index