CMH Home
CMH 		
      Home
Lineage And Honors Information

Lineage and Honors Information as of 2 October 2012

106th CAVALRY REGIMENT

  • Parent unit constituted 1 July 1897 in the Illinois National Guard as a squadron of cavalry and organized from existing units
  • Expanded, reorganized, and mustered into Federal service 21 May 1898 at Springfield as the 1st Illinois Volunteer Cavalry; mustered out of Federal service 11 October 1898 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois
  • Reorganized in 1899 in the Illinois National Guard as a squadron of cavalry
  • Expanded, reorganized, and redesignated 22 June 1899 as the 1st Cavalry
  • Mustered into Federal service 27 June 1916 at Springfield; mustered out of Federal service 17 November 1916 at Fort Sheridan, Illinois
  • Chicago elements converted, reorganized, and redesignated 9 June 1917 as the 2d Field Artillery (remainder of squadron converted, reorganized, and redesignated as the 3d Field Artillery hereafter separate lineage)
  • 2d Field Artillery drafted into Federal service 5 August 1917
  • Reorganized and redesignated 21 September 1917 as the 122d Field Artillery and assigned to the 33d Division
  • Demobilized 7-8 June 1919 at Camp Grant, Illinois
  • Reorganized 20 August 1919 in the Illinois National Guard as the 1st Field Artillery; Headquarters Federally recognized 11 November 1921 at Chicago
  • Redesignated 13 December 1921 as the 122d Field Artillery and assigned to the 33d Division (later redesignated as the 33d Infantry Division)
  • Inducted into Federal service 5 March 1941 at Chicago
  • 2d Battalion, 122d Field Artillery, reorganized and redesignated 12 February 1942 as the 210th Field Artillery Battalion, an element of the 33d Infantry Division (remainder of regiment hereafter separate lineage)
  • 210th Field Artillery Battalion inactivated 5 February 1946 in Japan
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 18 December 1946 in the Illinois National Guard at Chicago as the 210th Field Artillery Battalion
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 28 February 1954 as the 248th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion and relieved from assignment to the 33d Infantry Division
  • Reorganized and redesignated 15 February 1958 as the 248th Missile Battalion
  • Consolidated 1 March 1959 with the 698th Missile Battalion (see ANNEX 1) and consolidated unit designated as the 202d Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st and 2d Missile Battalions
  • Consolidated 1 April 1963 with Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 202d Artillery Group (see ANNEX 1), and consolidated unit designated as the 202d Artillery
  • Reorganized 8 October 1963 to consist of the 1st Missile Battalion
  • Reorganized 1 January 1966 to consist of the 1st Battalion
  • Redesignated 1 April 1972 as the 202d Air Defense Artillery
  • Federal recognition withdrawn 30 September 1974
  • Reconstituted 26 October 1994 in the Illinois Army National Guard and consolidated with the 202d Air Defense Artillery (see ANNEX 2); consolidated unit designated as the 202d Air Defense Artillery to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division, and the 2d Battalion, an element of the 35th Infantry Division
  • Reorganized 1 September 1999 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division, the 2d Battalion, an element of the 35th Infantry Division, and Batteries E, F, and G
  • Redesignated 1 October 2005 as the 202d Air Defense Artillery Regiment
  • Converted, reorganized, and redesignated 1 September 2006 as the 106th Cavalry Regiment, a parent regiment under the United States Army Regimental System, to consist of the 2d Squadron, an element of the 33d Infantry Brigade Combat Team
  • Ordered into active Federal service 2 October 2008 at home stations; released from active Federal service 5 November 2009 and reverted to state control
  • ANNEX 1
  • Organized 1 October 1920 in the Illinois National Guard at Chicago as the 6th Infantry
  • Converted and redesignated 19 March 1921 as the 1st Artillery, Coast Artillery Corps, and organized as a provisional battalion
  • Redesignated 13 December 1921 as the Provisional Battalion, 202d Artillery (Coast Artillery Corps)
  • Expanded and redesignated 26 August 1924 as the 202d Coast Artillery
  • Inducted into Federal service 16 September 1940 at Chicago
  • Regiment broken up 10 September 1942 and its elements reorganized and redesignated as follows:
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Battery as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 202d Antiaircraft Artillery Group
  • 1st Battalion as the 768th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion
  • 2d Battalion as the 396th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion
  • 3d Battalion as the 242d Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion
  • After 10 September 1943 the above units underwent changes as follows:
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 202d Antiaircraft Artillery Group, inactivated 17 November 1944 at Camp Howze, Texas
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 6 December 1946 in the Illinois National Guard at Chicago
  • Federal recognition withdrawn 1 August 1951
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 26 August 1954 in the Illinois Army National Guard at Chicago as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 202d Antiaircraft Artillery Group
  • Reorganized and redesignated 1 May 1960 as Headquarters and Headquarters Battery, 202d Artillery Group
  • 768th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion (less Battery C) inactivated 3 February 1945 at Camp Earle, Alaska (Battery C redesignated 1 May 1945 as the 434th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battery; inactivated 10 January 1946 at Fort Lawton, Washington)
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 13 December 1948 in the Illinois Army National Guard at Chicago as the 768th Antiaircraft Gun Battalion
  • Ordered into active Federal service 15 May 1951 at Chicago; released from active Federal service 14 April 1953 and reverted to state control
  • Redesignated 1 October 1953 as the 768th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
  • Consolidated 16 March 1954 with the 121st Tank Battalion (see ANNEX 3) and consolidated unit designated as the 768th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion

  • 396th Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion inactivated 7 December 1944-9 January 1945 at Camp Livingston, Louisiana
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 13 December 1946 in the Illinois National Guard at Chicago as the 693d Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion
  • Redesignated 12 May 1949 as the 133d Antiaircraft Artillery Automatic Weapons Battalion
  • Redesignated 1 October 1953 as the 133d Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (hereafter separate lineage)

  • 242d Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion inactivated 23 June 1944 at Camp Van Dorn, Mississippi
  • Disbanded 26 June 1944
  • Reconstituted 27 May 1946 in the Illinois National Guard as the 242d Antiaircraft Artillery Searchlight Battalion
  • Reorganized and Federally recognized 14 February 1947 at Chicago as the 698th Antiaircraft Artillery Gun Battalion
  • Ordered into active Federal service 1 May 1951 at Chicago; released from active Federal service 31 January 1953 and reverted to state control
  • Redesignated 1 October 1953 as the 698th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (see above) and consolidated unit designated as the 698th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion
  • Reorganized and redesignated 15 February 1958 as the 698th Missile Battalion
  • Consolidated 27 February 1958 with the 768th Antiaircraft Artillery Battalion (see above) and consolidated unit designated as the 698th Missile Battalion
  • ANNEX 2
  • Organized 14-16 November 1988 in the Illinois Army National Guard as the 202d Air Defense Artillery, a parent regiment under the Combat Arms Regimental System, to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 47th Infantry Division
  • Withdrawn 1 June 1989 from the Combat Arms Regimental System and reorganized under the United States Army Regimental System
  • Reorganized 10 February 1991 to consist of the 1st Battalion, an element of the 34th Infantry Division
  • ANNEX 3
  • Organized 1 June 1940 in the Illinois National Guard at Chicago as the 2d Squadron, 106th Cavalry
  • Redesignated 1 September 1940 as the 1st Squadron, 106th Cavalry
  • Inducted into Federal service 25 November 1940 at Chicago
  • Reorganized and redesignated 15 March 1944 as the 106th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron, Mechanized
  • Inactivated 24 October 1945 at Camp Shanks, New York
  • Squadron subsequently broken up and its elements reorganized and Federally recognized as follows:
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Troop reorganized and Federally recognized
  • 27 February 1947 in the Illinois National Guard at Chicago as Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 198th Transportation Truck Battalion
  • Troop B reorganized and Federally recognized 27 May 1947 in the Illinois National Guard at Chicago as the 3563d Transportation Truck Company
  • (Remainder of squadron reorganized as the 106th Cavalry Reconnaissance Squadron hereafter separate lineage)
  • Headquarters and Headquarters Detachment, 198th Transportation Truck Battalion, and the 3563d Transportation Truck Company converted, reorganized, and redesignated 15 February 1949 as Headquarters and Headquarters Company and Company B, 121st Heavy Tank Battalion (remaining elements of the 121st Heavy Tank Battalion concurrently organized from new and existing units)
  • 121st Heavy Tank Battalion redesignated 1 September 1950 as the 121st Tank Battalion

CAMPAIGN PARTICIPATION CREDIT

  • World War I
  • St. Mihiel
  • Meuse-Argonne
  • Lorraine 1918
  • World War II
  • New Guinea
  • Normandy
  • Northern France
  • Rhineland
  • Luzon
  • Ardennes-Alsace
  • Central Europe
  • American Theater,
  •     Streamer without inscription
  • War on Terrorism
  •    Afghanistan:
  • Consolidation II

Troop A (Pontiac), 2d Squadron, additionally entitled to:

  • War with Spain
  • Puerto Rico
  • World War I
  • Somme Offensive
  • Picardy 1918
  • World War II
  • Northern Solomons
  • Luzon (with arrowhead)

Troop C (Aurora), 2d Squadron, additionally entitled to:

  • War with Spain
  • Santiago
  • World War I
  • Somme Offensive
  • Oise-Aisne
  • Picardy 1918
  • World War II
  • Northern Solomons
  • Luzon (with arrowhead)

DECORATIONS

  • French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered MOSELLE
  • French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War II, Streamer embroidered CAEN-FALAISE
  • French Croix de Guerre, World War II, Fourragere
  • Philippine Presidential Unit Citation, Streamer embroidered 17 OCTOBER 1944 TO 4 JULY 1945
  • Troop A (Pontiac), 2d Squadron, additionally entitled to:
  • Army Superior Unit Award, Streamer embroidered 2004-2005
  • Troop C (Aurora), 2d Squadron, additionally entitled to:
  • French Croix de Guerre with Palm, World War I, Streamer embroidered OISE-AISNE

BY ORDER OF THE SECRETARY OF THE ARMY:

ROBERT J. DALESSANDRO
Director, Center of Military History


Return to Branch Index