[Note: The following short article appeared in the Journal of the Military Service Institution of the United States, 34 (1904), pp. 309-310. It is typical of the way in which the professional soldiers of the turn-of-the-century Army utilized that periodical as a quasi-official vehicle to discuss doctrine and disseminate historical information. Brevet Brigadier General T. F. Rodenbough served as its editor; it was published at Governor's Island, New York.]







[Pueto Rico]



IN command of Capt. C. B. Hoppin, 2d Cavalry, Troop B, 2d Cavalry, embarked on Transport Whitney at Port Tampa, Fla., sailed from Tampa, July 23,1898. Arrived at Ponce, P.R., August 2, 1898. Disembarked August 2, 1898. On duty at Headquarters, Army of Invasion. Upon reporting to the commanding general, Captain Hoppin was ordered to the command of the cavalry at headquarters of the Army, consisting of Troop B, 2d Cavalry; Troop H, 5th Cavalry; Troop A, N. Y. Vol. Cavalry; Troop C, N.Y. Vol. Cavalry. Troop H, 5th Cavalry, was attached to General Schwan's command about August 6th, and Troop C, N. Y. Vol. Cavalry, was attached to General Wilson's brigade about August 3d.


About August 6th, a detachment of Troop B, 2d Cavalry, consisting of Lieutenant Paine and fifteen enlisted men, was ordered to report to Gen. Roy Stone as an escort and to assist him in the construction of a wagon road from Adjuntas to Utuado. This detachment made a reconnaissance as far as the town of Arecibo on the north coast, near which place a detachment under Corporal Jetmore, Troop B, 2d Cavalry, was under fire, with no casualties; the reconnoitering party returned to Utuado, August 14th. August 12th Troop B, with a Colt's rapid-fire gun and gun detachment of six men from Troop A, N. Y., Vol. Cavalry, under Sergeant Cromwell, and one Gatling gun on wheeled carriage, left Ponce about 4 P.M. to report to General Henry in command of a brigade of volunteer troops at Utuado. The troop camped that night four miles from Adjuntas, and at noon the next day had reached a point about nine miles north of Adjuntas, where a courier bearing dispatches announcing the signing of the protocol overtook the command. The troop reached Utuado the morning of the 14th, and reported to General Henry, and was ordered into camp to await instructions.


About August 15th a detachment under Lieutenant Lochridge was sent to Lares to inform the Spanish garrison there of the signing of the protocol, and as the troops from the garrison there out of the town upon his approach,


* From the Official Report of Captain Hoppin, 2d Cavalry.




Lieutenant Lochridge took possession of it. Several detachments were sent into the country around Utuado for the purpose of arresting marauders, and did much toward the final pacification of the surrounding country. Returned to Ponce August 27th, and remained in camp near that place until November 26, 1898. During this time scouting parties were sent to Yavico under Lieutenant Lochridge, Barras under Lieutenant Paine, and Guyamo under Captain Hoppin; besides several small detachments under non-commissioned officers to small towns near Ponce.


During this time the troop suffered much from sickness, and Sergeant Sweeney and Blacksmith Robinson died at Utuado of typhoid fever, while several men were sent north on hospital ships suffering from dysentery, malaria and kindred diseases—most of whom were finally discharged for disability.


On November 26th the troop embarked on the transport Michigan, and landed at Savannah, Ga., December 1st, rejoining the regiment at Huntsville, Ala., December 3, 1898.

 Return to CMH Online