Medical Coverage and Procedures in Objective Area, 82d Airborne Division
FROM: CG 82D ABN DIV
CO 1ST BDE
CO 2D BDE
CO 3D BDE
CO DIV ARTY
CO SPT COMD
CO AVN BN
CO 307TH ENGR BN
CO 1/17 CAV
CO HQ CO
CO MP CO
CO SIG BN
CG XVIII Abn Corps ATTN: Surgeon
CO 15th Fld Hosp
UNCLAS Cite A3DGD 221-DR
SUBJECT: Medical Coverage & Procedures in Objective Area
1. TREATMENT FACILITIES ---Effective 061800 May 65 division level medical service provided on an area basis by following units.
a. Co D, 307th Med Bn loc VIC 048432.
b. Co C, 307th Med Bn loc VIC 072439.
c. Co B. 307th Med Bn loc VIC 187473.
2. Units organic or attached 82d Abn Div will evacuate directly to any of the above installations. Definitive surgical capability available at locations in para la and lb above. Dental services available at any of above locations. Critically wounded patients may be evacuated to 15th Field Hospital loc VIC 085440.
3. Emergency helicopter air evac --- Due to close proximity of definitive medical treatment facilities and lack of suitable helipads in controlled 82d Abn sector of city, in addition to reaction time of alerted A/C, emer air evac will be available VIC 15th Field Hospital. Patients generally considered for air evacuation will be surface evacuated to 15th Field Hospital, resuscitated, stabilized and then transported by helicopter to USAF CSF at San Isidro. Direct radio contact (USAF) from 15th FH to USAF Casualty Staging Facilities.
4. Evacuation & Holding Policy 82d Abn Div --- Division level medical facilities should hold casualties no longer than 72 furs. Every effort should be made to retain personnel in division channels. Division Psychiatrist will locate with Co C, 307th Med Bn. If hospitalization required is to exceed 72 furs, patient will be evacuated to 15th FH, by division clearing stations.
5. Reports --- All unit surgeons should establish liaison with division clearing stations for submission of required reports. See Div Reg 525-1. All medical units participating in civil medical assistance should by most expeditious means render reports to Div Surgeon Office. Include number of patients treated, general diagnosis (e.g., medical, surgical, etc.).
6. Commanders are encouraged to reemphasize water discipline. First tentative diagnosis of infectious hepatitis in division 6 May 65; not confirmed.
7. Unit surgeons should recheck immunization records. Smallpox reported at airport, plus isolated cases of Typhoid. All civilians.
8. Soft drinks bearing label "DUMBO" are to be avoided. Information released previously regards foods, water, etc still apply.
9. Unit surgeons will insure all troops are receiving Chloroquine-Primaquin Malaria Suppressants. One tablet per week while in objective areas and one tablet per week for 6 weeks after return to CONUS.
10. Medical supply requisitions from units organic or attached to Division Medical Supply Officer, 307th Med Bn.
|T. J. LEPSKI
Lt Col, GS
|WESLEY C. SCARBOROUGH