Continue south on CR 234 .5 mile to the Stone House at the junction with Route 29. There is a parking lot to your left adjacent to the house. The place was built about 1820 and was used as an ordinary, or tavern, probably into the 1850s. The building became a hospital during both battles in the area. General Pope established his headquarters on Buck Hill directly to the north of the house. After visiting the house, walk up to the lone cedar on the crest of Buck Hill.
On 29 August Pope arrived on the field shortly after noon. He first set up on the Dogan House hill forward of this position, but soon moved to here because it was easier for everyone to find. He then rode forward to inspect the line. About 1300, David Strother on his staff described arriving at the command post.
Sigel's bivouac, night of 28-29 August-Robinson Hill, the White House to the southeast.
Hatch's bivouac, night of 28-29 August-base of Chinn's Ridge, on the southwest side of the road intersection.
McDowell's approach, 1500, 29 August and Porter's c. 0730, 30 August—up route 234 from the south.
McDowell based himself near the Stone House, but made personal recons elsewhere.
Southeast of road junction along SR 234 are the final positions, 1800, 30 August, of Meade, Milroy, and Sykes, north to south.
This area to the north was occupied by Sigel and Reno the evening of the disaster, 30 August.