Continue east on Route 29 1.1 miles, across the intersection with CR 622 (Featherbed Lane) about 100 yards to the turnoff on the left for the Confederate Cemetery. Pull in and park. The Confederate Cemetery on the east side of the parking lot contains the remains of about 260 men, very few of whom are identified. The cemetery was begun by local ladies who, after the war, assumed responsibility for Confederate remains found on the battlefield. The small white structure west of the parking lot at the road intersection is the Dogan House. It is a log and frame building dating from the 1850s, which was the overseer's house for the Peach Grove plantation. The plantation included the modem Stonewall Memory Gardens and acreage to the north and west.
Again, back on 28 August between 1800 and 2100, Hatch's Brigade halted just west of the intersection during the Brawner's Farm fight. Reynolds' Battery (L, 1st New York Light) fired in support of Gibbon, pulling out westward about 2130.
On 29 August at 0900 Schenck's Division moved down the Pike, then crossed to the south side in line of battle at about New York Avenue to the east. It continued forward to a point south of Brawner's Woods.
Dilger's Battery (I, 1st Ohio Light) was posted just to the south on the high ground where the 14th Brooklyn Memorial is. The 73d Pennsylvania provided security.
Blume's Battery (2d New York Light) set up where the Confederate Cemetery is now. It was supported by four companies from the 41st New York.
Johnson's Battery (12th Ohio Light) set up just north of the cemetery to provide direct support to Milroy's Brigade.
Milroy (2d, 3d, 5th West Virginia, 82d Ohio) deployed on line to the north. When he heard heavy firing farther to the north, he sent two regiments to help while he planned to use his two remaining to take some Confederate batteries to his front. However, he soon shifted everything northward to join the fight he heard.
At 1000 additional artillery was
brought into the line so that five batteries were in place from the 14th Brooklyn Monument extending northward for about 600 yards. When Milroy deflected northward, Stahel's Brigade of Schenck's Division had to adjust northward to just above the Stonewall Memory Gardens. He was in the open, subject to Confederate artillery, and eventually pulled east to a point just north of the Confederate Cemetery.
At 1200 Col. Daniel Leasure's Brigade (100th Pennsylvania, 46th New York [6 Companies] of Stevens' Division, Reno's Corps [IX]) came forward to support Schenck's Division. Stevens accompanied. Colonel Leasure recalled,
Benjamin's guns continued to suppress the Confederate artillery, and Leasure continued,
The gun that had had its muzzle blown off still stood grinning with its ragged jaws towards the enemy, and the gunners withdrew it a few rods and buried it, placing a head-and foot-stone to it, as if it were the grave of a soldier left alone in his quiet rest.
About 1900 the withdrawal of some of Jackson's troops back to the railroad after a local attack north of here led Generals McDowell and Pope to conclude that the Confederates were retreating. McDowell therefore ordered General Hatch (who had replaced King) to begin a pursuit.
After marching about three-quarters of a mile the Second Regiment of U.S. Sharpshooters was deployed to the front as skirmishers, the column continuing up the road in support. The advance almost immediately became warmly engaged on the left of the road. Two howitzers were then placed in position, one on each side of the road, and Doubleday's Brigade was deployed to the front, on the left of the road, and moved up to the support of the skirmishers. We were met by a force consisting of three brigades of infantry, one of which was posted in the woods on the left, parallel to and about an eighth of a mile from the road. The two other brigades were drawn up in line of battle, one on each side of the road. These were in turn supported by a large portion of the rebel forces, estimated by a prisoner, who was taken to their rear, at about 30,000 men, drawn up in successive lines, extending V/2 miles to the rear. Doubleday's Brigade moved to the front under a very heavy fire, which they gallantly sustained; but the firing continuing very heavy, Hatch's brigade, commanded by Colonel Sullivan, was also deployed, and moved to the support of General Doubleday. Patrick's brigade, which had been held in reserve, took up a position on the opposite side of the road, completely commanding it. The struggle, lasting some three-quarters of an hour, was a desperate one, being in many instances a hand-to-hand conflict.
Night had now come on, our loss had been severe, and the enemy occupying a position in the woods on our left which gave them a flank fire upon us, I was forced to give the order for a retreat. The retreat was executed in good order, the attempt of the enemy to follow being defeated by a few well-directed volleys from Patrick's Brigade. (General John P. Hatch)
The next day, between 0700 and 1200, Reynolds' Division moved forward from near the Henry House and cleared the area around the Groveton crossroads. The 13th Pennsylvania Reserve set up a skirmish line west of the intersection and linked with skirmishers from the 3d U.S. Infantry, who arrived after 1200 and were set up on the east side of the modern Stonewall Memory Gardens. Syke's Division set up north-east of the Confederate Cemetery.
On the thirtieth of August at 1200, Reynolds pulled back to Chinn's Ridge under pressure from Longstreet's skirmishers and reported a Confederate buildup south of the Pike.
At 1345 Hazlett's Battery (D, 5th U.S.) occupied the hill by the 14th Brooklyn Monument.
At 1430 Warren's Brigade of Sykes' Division deployed south of the Pike to support Hazlett.