for Chapter XIII
- 1 Melvin R. Laird, National Security Strategy of Realistic Deterrence:
Annual Defense Department Report, FY 1973 (Washington, D.C.: Government
Printing Office, 1972), p. 24.
- 2 Ibid., pp. 86-87.
- 3 U.S. Army Combat Developments Command (CDC), "Annual Historical
Summary, FY 1970," p. 116, DAMN-HSR; DF, ACSFOR to DCSPER and other
addresses, 9 Jan 70, sub: HSeries TOE, FOR OT OM TO, Division General file,
- 4 U.S. Army CDC, "Historical Summary, FY 66," p. 362, FY 70,
pp. 116-17; TOE 7H, Infantry Division, 1970; TOE 17H, Armored Division,
1970; TOE 37H, Mechanized Infantry Division, 1970; TOE 44-325H, Air Defense
Artillery Battalion, 1970; TOE 29-1H, TOE 29-11H, and TOE 29-21H, Division
Support Command, 1970; TOE 17-87H, Division Aviation Company, Armored Division,
1970; TOE 37-87H, Division Aviation Company, Mechanized Division, 1970;
TOE 29-3H, Division Materiel Management Center, 1975.
- 5 TOE 7-15H, Infantry Battalion, 1970; TOE 17-15H, Armor Battalion, 1970;
TOE 7-45H, Mechanized Infantry Battalion, 1970; James Stone, "TOW Really
Works," Infantry 64 (Sep-Oct 1974): 12-13. The tables provided
two variations of the infantry and mechanized infantry battalions: one variation
authorized the unit to be equipped with TOWS, the other with 106-mm. recoilless
- 6 Changes 1 and 2, TOE 7H, Infantry Division, 1970; Changes 1 and 2, TOE
17H, Armored Division, 1970; Changes 1 and 2, TOE 37H, Mechanized Infantry
Division, 1970; TOE 6-100H, Infantry Division Artillery, 1970; Change 1,
TOE 6-300H, Armored or Infantry Division Artillery (Mechanized), 1970; TOE
29-1H, Infantry Division Support Command, 1970, and changes 1-3; TOE 29-11
H, Infantry Division Support Command (Mechanized), 1970, and changes 1-3;
TOE 29-21H, Armored Division Support Command, 1970; TOE 30-17H, Military
Intelligence Company (Division), 30 Nov 1970; TOE 30-19T, Combat Intelligence
Company, Armored Division or Infantry (Mechanized) Division, 1975; Msg,
ACSFOR to CG, CONARC, DA 892178, 31 Dec 68, sub: Activation Order, 1st Bn,
59th Air Defense Artillery (ADA) file, Msg, ACSFOR to CG, CONARC, and other
addresses, 201544 Apr 72, sub: DA Staff Review of H Series Conversion Schedule,
and Assignment of ADA units, Reorganization of Divisional Administrative
Companies as Adjutant General and Finance Companies, Activation of Divisional
Materiel Management Centers and Military Intelligence Units, and Inactivation
of Divisional Honest John Units, author's notes, all G/H TOES file, DAMH-HSO.
- 7 U.S. Army CDC, "Historical Summary, FY 70," p. 116; Ltr, TAG
to CinC, USAREUR, 17 Aug 72, sub: Approval of MTOE, DAAG-ASO-D (M) (15 Aug
72) DAFD, AG Reference files, Msg, DALO-SMS-D (Deputy COfS for Logistics,
Distribution Branch) to Cdr, CONARC, 201946 Dec 72, sub: Medium Tanks M60A1
for Unit Activation, 1st Bn, 77th Armor; Msg, DA to CG, CONARC, 1212152
Apr 72, sub: Movement Directive 72-10, 6th Bn, 32d Armor; file, Historical
Data Cards, 3d and 8th Infantry Divisions, all DAMH-HSO.
- 8 Msg, ACSFOR to CinC, USARPAC, DA 1018152 Nov 71, sub: Organization and
Structure of 25th Infantry Division and Support Units, Msg, ACSFOR to CinC,
USARPAC, DA 1722092 Feb 72, sub: Reorganization of 25th Inf Div and ISI
(Initial Sustaining Increment) units, Msg, DCSOPS to Cdr, 25th Infantry
Division, DA 1019302 Nov 72, sub: Readiness Reporting of 25th Inf Div, Msg,
DSCOPS to CinC, USARPAC, DA 2721412 Nov 72, sub: Stationing and Organization
of 25th Inf Div in Hawaii, and Memo of Agreement, sub: Command and Staff
Relationship Between the 25th Infantry Division and the 29th Brigade (HIARNG)
and the 100th Battalion, 442d Infantry Regiment (USAR), 2 Aug 73, all 25th
Inf Div file, DAMH-HSO.
- 9 Msg, CG, CONARC, to CG, Sixth U.S. Army, 2120392 Jan 72, sub: Planning
Data for CONUS/Activation, and Msg, U.S. Army Training Center, Inf and Fort
Lewis, Wash., to CG, Sixth U.S. Army, 100018 Feb 72, sub: Proposed News
Release Activation of the 9th Infantry Division, both 9th Inf Div file,
DAMH-HSO; 9th Infantry Division, "Annual Historical Supplement,"
1974, pp. 43-44, DAMH-HSR.
- 10 SS, ACSFOR to CofS, 22 Jun 72, sub: Force Structure, Fort Benning,
DAFD-MFP, Msg, ACSFOR to CG, CONARC, 1618452 Oct 72, sub: Unit Designation
197th Bde, DAFD-MFP-T, Ltr, CG, CONARC, to Cdr, Third U.S. Army, 18 Oct
72, sub: Formation of a School Support Organization and Conversion of the
197th Infantry Brigade, ATFOR-FS-SR, and Msg, U.S. Army Infantry Center
to Cdr, Third, U.S. Army, 2214272 Mar 73, same subject, all 197th Inf Bde
- 11 U.S. Armor Center and Fort Knox, "Annual Historical Supplement,"
1 Jan 31 Dec 74, preface,
- 12 SS, ACSFOR to Cofs, 28 Nov 72, sub: Reorganization of 101st Airborne
Div (Ambl), DD DAPT-MFP, 101st Alm Div file, DAMH-HSO. The omission of the
155-mm. towed howitzer battalion reduced the division by 546 officers and
- 13 SS, TAG Center to CofS, 13 Sep 74, sub: Proposed Change in Nomenclature,
101st Airborne Division (Airmobile), DAAG-AMO, and Ltr, TAG to Cdr, 101st
Airborne Division, 16 Oct 74, sub: Change of Parenthetical Identifier, both
101st Abn Div file, DAMH-HSO; "101st Airborne Division Historical Summary,
1974," pp. 10-12, DAMN-HSR; "Interview of LTG John Winn McEmery,
11 Apr 83, p. 16, 101st Abn Div file, DAMH-HSO; AR 672-5-1, Military Awards,
- 14 TOE 57H, Airborne Division, 1974; TOE 29-51H, Support Command, Airborne
Division, 1973; TOE 29-45H, Supply and Service Battalion, 173; TOE 10-37F,
Supply Company (Airborne Division), 1965; TOE 17-215H, Armor Battalion (Airborne),
1973, GO 600, 603, 605, 608, U.S. Army Forces Command (FORSCOM, 174, 407th
Spt Bn file, DAMH-HSO; and author's note G/H Tables File, DAMH-HSO.
- 15 Fact Sheet, ACSFOR to SofA, 15 Jan 71, Formation of the TRICAP Division,
FOR DS TRICAP, News Release, New Army Test Division Announced, 25 Mar 71,
Msg, SECDEF to Supreme Allied Commander, Europe, DA 2521102 Jan 71, sub:
Redesignation and Reorganization of First Armored Division; Msg, ACSFOR
to CG, CONARC, DA 2922172 Jan 71, sub: Contingency Planning for TRICAP Div;
Msg, OCINFO to CG, CONARC, and other addresses, 2321142 Mar 71, sub: TRICAP
Division, documents located in TRICAP file, DAMN-HSO; TOE 47T, TRICAP Division,
15 February 1971; Cheng, Air Mobility, p. 180; John Norton, "TRICAP,"
Army 21 (Jun 1971): 14-19.
- 16 Memo for Record, ACSFOR, undated, sub: Conference 15 June 1972 on TRICAP/ACCB
Organization and Testing, DAFD, TRICAP file; TOE 17-285T, Attack Helicopter
Squadron, TRICAP Division or Attack Helicopter Squadron Air Cavalry Combat
- 17 U.S. Army CDC, "Reconfiguration of the TRICAP Division,"
Executive Summary, 15 Dec 72, CGSC Library; Msg, ACSFOR to Cdr, CONARC,
DA 1318072 Mar 73, sub: Unit Designation, 1st Cav Div, DAFD-MFP-T, OPS 28,
ACSFOR, 30 Sep 73, sub: Reorganization of the 1st Cavalry Division, DAFD-MPF-M,
both in TRICAP file, DAMH-HSO.
- 18 "TRICAP Shortcomings Bared," Army Times, 5 Jun 1974;
News Release, 1st Cavalry Division Reorganization, 10 May 1974, TRICAP file;
GO 200, FORSCOM, 13 Feb 75, 6th Cav Bde file, both DAMN-HSO; TOE 17-200H,
Air Cavalry Combat Brigade, 1975; Change 1, TOE 17-205H, Air Cavalry Squadron,
Infantry Division, 1975.
- 19 Annual Report, Chief, National Guard Bureau, 1971, pp. 32, 38-40,
1972, p. 32, 38-41; TOE 44-85G, Air Defense Artillery Automatic Weapons
Battalion, Self-Propelled, 1966.
- 20 Draft ltr, Chief, National Guard Bureau, to Winfield Dunn, NGB-ZA,
and Memo, NGB for SA, sub: After Action Reports, 13 Dec 73, NGB-ARO, both
30th Armd Div file, DAMH-HSO.
- 21 Memo, NGB for SA, 21 Nov 73, sub: After Action Reports, NGB-ARZ-A,
30 Inf Div file, DAMH-HSO; Ltr, NGB for SA, sub: After Action Report, 13
- 22 LaVern E. Weber, "For the Minutemen of the `70s: The Guard: 'A
Long Way"' Army 24 (Oct 1974): 65-71; Milnor Robert, "Strong
Reserve Boosted by Total Force Impetus," Army 24 (Oct 1974):
- 23 Point Paper, DAMO-RQF (Deputy Chief of Staff for Operations and Plans-Requirements
Directorate), sub: Why a 16-Division Active Army, 27 Sep 74, 16-Div Force
- 24 Ibid.; Creighton W. Abrams, Jr., "The Sixteen Division Force: Anatomy
of a Decision,"
- thesis, Command and General Staff College, Fort Leavenworth, Kans., 1975;
SS, ACSFOR to CofS, 16 Apr 74, sub: Revised FY Force Structure Actions,
DAFD-MFD (ACofS for Force Development-Manpower and Forces Directorate),
16-Div Force file, DAM H-HSO.
- 25 Robert Sorley, Thunderbolt: General Creighton Abrams and the Army
of His Times (New York: Simon and Schuster, 1992), pp. 362-64; Ltr,
TAG to Cdrs, FORSCOM, and TRADOC, 7 May 74, sub: Revised FY 75-80 Force
Structure Guidance, DAAG-AMM DAFD-MFP, 16-Div Force file, DAMN-HSO.
- 26 Ibid; Msg, Cdr, FORSCOM, to DSCOPS, 0418002 May 74, sub: Inactivation
of Infantry Battalions (Mech) in FY 75, 2d Bn, 16th Inf file, DAMH-HSO;
OPS 28 DAMO-RQD, Firepower Division, for DCSOPS, sub: ACCB, 13 Jan 75, DAMO-RQD,
TRICAP file; "Army Guard AT' 75 Highlights," National Guardsman
29 (May 1975): 2-5; Notes Based on FORSCOM GOs, 16-Div Force file, DAMH-HSO.
- 27 CofS Memo 75-10 for Heads of Army Staff Agencies, 12 Feb 74, sub: Action
Required to Attain a 24-Division Total Force Prior to FY 77, and Msg, DSCOPS
to Cdrs, FORSCOM, and TRADOC, DA 2821012 Aug 75, sub: Activation of the
5th and 24th Infantry Division and Redesignation of the 194th and 197th
Brigades, both 16-Div Force file, DAMH-HSO.
- 28 "Separate Brigade Plan Out," Army Times, 3 Dee 1975;
Notes Based on FORSCOM GOs, 16-Div Force file; Robert F. Fairchild, "Training
Guard and Reserve Divisions," Armor 86 (Mar-Apr 1977): 47-48.
- 29 U.S. Army FORSCOM, "Annual Historical Review, 1 July 1975-30 Sep
1976," pp. 198-05; Msg, DSCOPS to Cdrs, FORSCOM, and TRADOC, DA 2821012
Aug 75, sub: Activation of the 5th and 24th Infantry Divisions and Redesignation
of the 194th and 197th Brigades; "Bde to Become Heavy," Army
Times, 12 Nov 1975; Historical Data Card, 194th Armored Brigade, DAMH-HSO.
Also see notes in 194th Armd Bde file, DAMH-HSO.
- 30 CofS Memo 74-5-70 for Heads of Army Staff Agencies, sub: Increased
Combat Capability in Europe, 2 Aug 74, Bde-75 file, DAMH-HSO; Frank W. Pew,
The U.S. Army Forces Command and the Development of the Brigade 75/76
Concept for the Support of Europe (Fort McPherson, Ga.: U.S. Army Forces
Command, 1980), pp. 1-4.
- 31 "How DOD Is Improving the Combat Proportions of US Forces in Europe,"
Commander Digest 19 (20 Nov 1975): 2-3; Msg, Cdr, FORSCOM, to Cdr,
III Corps and Fort Hood, Tex., 0322072 Dec 74, sub: Reorganization of Units
at Fort Hood/ Selected FY Activations, Msg, DAMO-FDP-T to Cdr, FORSCOM,
DA 1620212 Apr 75, sub: Involvement of 1st Cavalry Division in Brigade 75,
both Bde-75 file DAMH-HSO; Pew, Brigade 75/76 Concept, pp. 74-109.
The Nunn amendment limited the additional combat units to battalion or smaller
size units, therefore the Army Staff considered the headquarters and headquarters
company of each brigade as one of the smaller units.
- 32 Msg, DAMO-ODO to Cdr, FORSCOM, and CinC, USAREUR, DA 1318302 Jul 76,
sub: Movement Directive 23-76, Bde-75 file, DAMH-HSO; U.S. Army Europe and
Seventh Army, Strengthening NATO (North Atlantic Treaty Organization):
Stationing of the 2d Armored Division (Forward) in Northern Germany (n.p.,
1980), p. 3; Pew, Brigade 75/76 Concept, pp. 184-208.
- 33 CofS Memo 75-570-94 for Heads of Army Staff Agencies, sub: Conversion
of Rotational Brigades to PCS, 10 Dec 75, Msg, DAMO-ODO to CinC, USAREUR,
DA 2419422 Sep 75, sub: Declassification of Bde 76 stationing, and Msg,
DAMO-ODO to Cdr, FORSCOM, and other addresses, DA 1315152 May 76, sub: Termination
of Unit Rotations, all Brigade 75/76 file, DAMN-HSO; PO 48-1 and 52-1, 1st
Infantry Division and Fort Riley, 24 Sep 1976, 3d Bn, 28th Inf file, DAMH-HSO;
Msg, DAMO-ODO to Cdr, FORSCOM, and other addresses, 2018452 Apr 78, sub:
Movement Directive 24-78, and PO 63-2, FORSCOM, 21 Apr 1979, both 5th Bn,
7th Cav file, DAMH-HSO; USAREUR and Seventh Army, Strengthening NATO,
- 34 FM 100-5, Operations, p. 1-1; COTS Memo for Heads of Army Staff
Agencies, 5 Feb 75, sub: Realignment of ARNG Split Divisions, Information
Paper, NGB, same subject, 24 Nov 74, NGB-ARO-O, Memo, NG13 to Sec of Army,
undated, same subject, NGB-ARO, all National Guard Reorganization, 1975,
file, DAMN-HSO; Annual Report, Chief, National Guard Bureau, FY 1975,
p. 32; Annual Review (formerly Report), Chief, National Guard Bureau,
FY 1976 and TQ , p.30; Ltr, NGB to AG, Ohio, 25 Feb 77,
sub: Reorganization of Ohio ARNG Units, NGB-ARO-O 207-02, Ohio National
Guard file, DAMH-HSO; Reserve Components Troop Basis of the Army Annex 1:
Army National Guard Unit Program, 28 Feb 1977, DAMH-HSO.
- 35 Telephone or Verbal Conversation Record (DA Form 751), Mr. Bart, FORSCOM,
and author, sub: 187th Inf Bde (Mass), 13 Jun 75, and DA Form 751, Mr. Smith,
TAG, and author, 18 Jun 75, both 187th Inf Bde file, DAMH-HSO; "Callaway,
Thurmond: Brigade Affiliation to Involve Politics?" Army Times,
3 Sep 1975. Congressional leaders traditionally have been protective
of military units and installations in their districts because they are
a source of jobs and income.
- 36 U.S. Army FORSCOM, "Annual Historical Review, 1 Jul 75-30 Sep
76," p. 226-27; Ltr, OCAR to Maj Gen Gordon J. Duquemin, 29 Jan 76,
"Taking A Candid Look," Reserve 22 (Nov-Dec 1976): 18-19;
Msg, DA 0714452 May 76, sub: 205th Infantry Brigade, Msg, DA 2515202 May,
same subject, and PO 6-2, Fifth US Army, 1976, all 205th Inf Bde file, DAMHHSO.
- 37 AR 11-29, Affiliation Program, 1975; Information Paper, NGB, sub: Affiliation
Program, 13 Jun 78, NGB-ARO-T, Roundout/Affiliation file, DAMH-HSO; U.S.
Army FORSCOM, "Annual Historical Review, 1 Oct 76-30 Sep 77,"
- 38 TOE 97, Division (Training), 1970; Ltr, Organization and Directory
Branch to TAG, subject: Change in Status of Units, AGAO-D, 18 Feb 71, AG
Reference files, also see Training Division General files, 1970-71, DAMH-HSO.
- 39 J, Milnor Roberts, "USAR Moves into 1973," Army Reserve
Magazine 19 (Mar 1973): 4-5.
- 40 GO 174, Sixth US Army, 1975, 5th Brigade (Training) file, DAMH-HSO,
U.S. Army FORSCOM, "Annual Historical Review, FY 1975," p. 181,
GO 64, U.S. Sixth Army, 3d Bn, 87th Inf file, DAMN-HSO.
- 41 Department of the Army Historical Summary, 1974, p. 32, 1979,
p. 16; U.S. Army FORSCOM, "Annual Historical Review, 1 Oct 77-30 Sep
78," p. 166; TOE 97-500H8, Recruit Training Organization, 1978; "It's
No Easy Job Retaining Trainers as the USAR's 108th Division Outdoes Itself"
Reserve 25, No. 1, (1979): 20-21.
page created 29 June 2001
Return to the
Table of Contents